Turn a PC into a toolbox with these Windows Apps for Drummers
Grab a spare snare stand and use it to hold your new
Laptop Drummer’s Tool-kit. Our selection of the best free Windows Apps for Drummers transforms the PC into an Instructor / Studio / Tool Kit / Music Stand / Band Mate and more! These are our recommended apps, but there are many more out there.
Drum Machines / Sequencers
A PC or Laptop with a suitable sequencer can be anything from a simple drum machine, a sandbox for grooves or a learning tool. It can also be a whole lot of fun just as a cool toy. here are our favourites.
Hydrogen is an advanced drum machine for GNU/Linux, Windows and Mac OS X. It’s main goal is to bring professional yet simple and intuitive pattern-based drum programming
- Very user-friendly, modular, fast and intuitive graphical interface based on QT 4.
- Sample-based stereo audio engine, with import of sound samples in .wav, .au and .aiff formats.
- Support of samples in compressed FLAC file.
Sequencer and mixer
- Pattern-based sequencer, with unlimited number of patterns and ability to chain patterns into a song.
- Up to 192 ticks per pattern with individual level per event and variable pattern length.
- Unlimited instrument tracks with volume, mute, solo, pan capabilities.
- Multi layer support for instruments (up to 16 samples for each instrument).
- Sample Editor, with basic cut and loop functions. (NEW)
- Time-stretch and pitch functions via rubberband cli. Require the rubberband-cli package. (NEW)
- Play-lists with scripting function. (NEW)
- Advanced tab-tempo. (NEW)
- Director Window with a visual metronome and song position tags. (NEW)
- Time-line with variable tempo. (NEW)
- Single and stacked pattern mode. (NEW)
- Export/Import single patterns into song projects. (NEW)
- Midi learning via Shift+MouseClick on many gui-cotrollers combined with a midi settings editor. (NEW)
- Ability to import/export song files.
- Unique human velocity, human time, pitch and swing functions.
- Multiple patterns playing at once.
- JACK, ALSA, PortAudio and OSS audio drivers.
- ALSA MIDI and PortMidi input with assignable midi-in channel (1..16, ALL).
- Import/export of drumkits.
- Export song to wav, aiff, flac or ogg file.
- Export song to midi file.
The orDrumbox is a free drum machine software, designed to be as creative as possible with unusual features : auto-composition, polyrythmes, unusual arpeggiator, automatic sounds/track matching , custom softsynths, lowfi rendering, etc.
This tools can compose bass line and complete songs using included drum kits with the audio sequencer functions.
You can create songs by assembling variouspatterns. It’s up to you to determine the number of beats in each pattern (16 or 32 or whatever).
Each pattern is composed of tracks (as many as you want). Each track corresponds to one sound.
The tracks/sounds can be pitched and mixed and panoramized, and solo/muted/ with the interface. Polyrhythms capabilities: Add a loop point at the step you want, independently on each track.
Each track is composed of notes (one note by beat). On each note, you can independently control pitch(from -12 to +12 semitones) and volume. Some notes can be loop point or scale notes
The number of different sounds is not limited, neither the number of tracks in a pattern, nor the number of patterns in a song.
Automatic composer and arpeggiator
On each track you can use an automatic fill enginepowered by artificial intelligence technology. This way you can add melodic scales and semi-random notes to make the orDrumbox compose rhythmic and melodic patterns under your control.
It’s designed for creativity.
You only have to define some rules and the orDrumbox is going to generate beat variations and melodic lines using used designed scales. Some minor/major and more scales are pre-defined to help you with this feature see the arpeggiator window
Hotstepper is a free and easy to use drum sequencer with 12 channels. You can create music beats with different sound samples. You can use up to 12 different sounds simultaneously. After finishing your track you can export it to WAV file to the desired location. You can set the tempo of tracks by moving the BPM slider in the desired direction. It has various predefined samples with .HPA extension and they can help you when creating new ones. This beat maker program has wave stretching option which lets you stretch sounds to the length of the beat. It has delay control also and you can define the delay amount and adjust the value of feedback.
- Adjustable velocitiy and pitch for every event
- Up to 12 different sounds can be used simultaneous
- Adjustable velocity, delay, panorama position and pitch for every sound
- Adjustable pattern size and resolution (triple, quarter)
- Import wav files (10 second max, 44.1kHz, 16-bit, mono only) into the sound libary and select start and end sample points
- Export drum patterns as Windows PCM (*.wav) files
- Delay control so you can define the amount of the delay and adjust feedback
- Shuffle control for adjusting the type of shuffle and its intensity
- Organize patterns into a song (only one pattern may play at once)
- Wave Stretching allows you to define sounds that will be stretched automatically to the length of the beat
- Sounds can cut-off other sounds when started (ie. Closed HiHat stops Open HiHat)
Yes, even us drummers can benefit from a good tuner. Applications include; Tuning the kit to specific pitch intervals, Tuning Batter and resonant heads to the same pitch, Tuning batter and resonant heads to different pitch, but keeping the same ratio throughout the kit and lastly to uniformly tune all the tension rods on a head.